Sawyer High School: A History
The first building plots for Sawyer Public School was part of the property of the Minnesota Loan & Trust Co. It was originally four square blocks which were plotted and signed by President Eugene A. Merrel and Secretary William A. Durst on April 22nd, 1902.
There are no definite records of a school house having been built but there are records of several citizens whom were named as school officials. Also there are records of several bonds given out to William Hodges and Victor Kardell; all of these were given from 1904-1908 and increased in amount which indicated growth.
The newer brick building was built in 1910. The old wooden school house was moved to the south of Sawyer in the 1920s; it was placed behind the new school house and was never completely demolished.